Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Daily Heroes*

I have a few "shout-outs" to give today:

First Up: Professor Brand
Every day in our International Business Transactions class, some student or students come to class late. This behavior clearly irritates him, as he immediately ceases class for anywhere between 30 seconds and 1 minute on every occasion where a student arrives in the minutes past nine, sometimes this happens multiple times during a class period, in order to 'accommodate' every additional tardy student.

The point is that he is obviously quite annoyed my non-punctual students - such that, if I were a few minutes late for class - I would sit that one out, as opposed to coming late - but then again, I'm not a big fan of pissing professors off.

So, today - a number of people came successively late to class. Five students in fact, and the last one arrived at 9:07 - at which point Brand stopped talking, then looked like he was going to freak out - fumbled some words (I'm guessing b/c of the growing frustration) - and then lashed out at the class. He said something to the effect that he hates interruptions (and he assumed that the rest of the class did as well) - such that if people couldn't be on time - they couldn't sign the sign-in sheet. Then he went further and exclaimed that if you are going to come to class late - Don't come at all.

Kudos Professor Brand, I can't stand the fact that the same people show up late every day - it's a distraction to the class and it's disrespectful to the professor. Of course - everybody has one time that they're a minute or so late - due to weather, transport, drug habit - but consistently being late is unacceptable.

I am NOT a morning person - I hate getting up in order to get to school for a 9:00 class (though oddly enough, I awoke at 5:30 today) - but I get my ass there and I get my ass there on time!

Of course if I were a Professor - I would have turned those insolent little bastards right around and told them to get out. But, interestingly - I learned that my/Michael's proposed response to this situation was not the most Draconian - that prize goes to Oliver, who proposed some form of finger-forfeiture policy upon arriving late......Hello there 8th Amendment.

Second: Tom Beline
I'm a huge fan of Tom today, for reasons which will become apparent in a subsequent blog post regarding the 'marriage' nomenclature and its relevance to 'the state'.

Third: Chris Reinard
Chris wants to stick it to the man for a career - and sue the shit out of big drug companies - I'm all for that - and he also concurred in the 'marriage' conversation alluded to above.

Lastly: Federalist Tony
Today in Evidence he was sitting across the room from Emily and me - he was discreetly flipping us off with the 'facial scratch' technique. But once the professor had moved such that Tony wasn't w/i his line of sight - Emily and I received a full-fledged two-handed 'Fuck Off' - of course she and I nearly fell out of our chairs laughing!

Good Times!

*None of these people will be making the Hero List, of which Derrick Bell is a member.....at least not today.

2 Comments:

Blogger emily said...

ahem, w/r/t your title -- hero's??? unless you're talking about the belongings of said heroes, you'd better switch your possessive to a plural.

sincerely,
the grammar police

10/25/2005  
Blogger emily said...

and now you've gone and fixed the heroes, so my above comment is moot.

MOOT!

10/25/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home